What are the do’s and don’ts of online HIV dating? Well here are just a few things that will help you send the right message in your profile. Sometimes we give away more information that we intend to.
Something simple like “I’m looking for an honest man” implies that you’ve been cheated on before and are carrying some emotional baggage.
With these tips I offer will help you with the obvious and the more subtle profile wrongs and rights.
First off, the biggest DON’Ts:
DON’T be negative about yourself or your situation.
- “I am not the prettiest or most fit girl in the world but…”
- “I don’t really know what to say, I’m not that good with words.”
- “I still am not sure about this online dating thing…”
DON’T talk about your previous bad relationships or generalize people.
- “Most guys I meet are such players”
- “I need a girl who is honest when she tells you she doesn’t care about money”
- “I’m looking for someone who is honest and loyal.”
- “Drama queens and gold diggers please stay away.”
DON’T let your insecurities show.
- “Letting someone in isn’t the easiest thing for me, but once I do it can be magical.!”
DON’T try to mask you issues by trying to be cocky or sarcastic.
- “I’m not like every other guy.”
- “I’m extremely picky when it comes to girls.”
- “I’m a princess and I haven’t found a suitable prince yet.”
- “Are you the full package? Handsome? Smart? And rich?”
- “I’m smart, successful and rich. What more could you want? Oh right, I’m handsome too”
DON’T make it sound like your life is to hectic or busy.
- “My family will always come first.”
- “I’m so swamped with work and friends, I’ll reply to you when I can.”
DON’T bring up:
Sex, exes, money, lies.
You want your photo to be visible, clear and preferable you smiling.
It shouldn’t be a crowded photo with a bunch of other people in it.
Your profile picture should be a head shot of you smiling. Don’t make it a picture of a car, pet, baby or some other miscellaneous thing.
What you should DO:
Describe how you typically behave when you are in a relationship:
- “I enjoy being with my partner, but also enjoy having some separate friends/interests”
- “I will compromise and expect the same of my partner”
- “I’m not afraid to speak my mind, and I will tell you if something is bothering me.”
Try to make your profile stand out. Instead of just saying “I like Japanese food.” Try something a bit more specific, such as “I love tuna sashimi, it’s soft texture and subtle taste are heavenly.”
You can mention what kind of work you do. Try to be a bit vague though, something like I work with my hands, or I am a professional will give other users an idea of what you do without specifically having to say.
Use words strong words that have a lot of meaning to you, such as wisdom, strength, character.
Don’t be afraid to mention some of your key interests. If you enjoy travel or watching sports say so, but don’t mention you are looking for someone to do these activities with you.
At the end of your profile you should write something that will encourage others to message you. Even a simple message like “I look forward to hearing from you.” might be enough to get that user to send of a message of interest.